Monday, May 9, 2016

#LinkUp: Show & Tell ~ Personal Style

Personal Style...one of the great conundrums of the internet where you can see and compare yourself to not only what the models in online shops are wearing, but what everyone else is wearing from everyday people, to reality celebrities and A-listers too.

I snapped a pic of this quote from a magazine several months ago and have kept it on my phone, it's a good reminder, no matter what...
Personal style has to have a thread of you.
A few of my favorite things that make up my personal style... 
Scarves
High Heels
Leggings
Dresses
Cowboy Boots 
JEANS! 
button ups 
Business Casual because I have to
Cardigans 
Jewelry stacks
Nike Shorts 
Tshirts 
Bracelets 
#nofilter 
Layers 
Leopard clutch/clutch bags
Comfort 
Bargains
Flares 

Where I get my personal style: 
Gap 
Marshall's
TJ Maxx
Nordstrom
rare occasion Anthropologie on sale
Small Town Boutiques
TARGET! 
Old Navy

Sizing my style 
I'm 5'9", so picky about pant length 
I'm 5'9",so picky about sleeve length 
I typically wear a 27 pant 
I typically wear a M top or dress 
I try on all sizes because depending on size and cut, I can wear anything from XS to XXL

Some examples of my style:
Cold weather work day uniform: cardigan + scarf + heels 
Cold weather weekend: leggings + t/tank + half-zip/sweat shirt 
Jeans + Ts is one of my very favorites. 
(On this day I bought new pillows #sweetdreams)
I'm a repeat offender, this is one of my favorite button-ups, just the right light weight flannel plaid
 Since Summer's Coming... 
Long sleeves + shorts is a favorite for me personally
Dress up Gala look 
Jeans + tanks is the balance to long sleeve + shorts 
I almost always have a cardigan or jacket with me 
 More summer... 
Wedges are also on heavy repeat, the same pair in fact 
Nike shorts (or Danskin from Walmart) are my evening/weekend uniform
Dresses for church + nights out 
 Travel: I always wear layers 
Scarves are year round 
Those ripped jeans are also a repeater 
 What's interesting about personal style: 
This is a pic from the same day... 
(Left) shopping at the Rodeo all day with one of my besties 
(Right) attending a Rodeo concert that night with another bestie
All day: the same looks...not sure about what I was wearing 
Is it that out of the ordinary? No. 
Someone asked a friend if I was a snob based on seeing right-side outfit alone?! 
What in the world?  
I always love to see how people put outfits together. 
I love to complement someone's style who is unique and different than mine. 
What I can wear isn't always what someone else can wear. 
What someone else can wear isn't always what I can wear. 
We make assumptions of others based only on what they wear way too often. 
We compare to others on what they wear way too often. 
We degrade ourselves based on our clothes way too often.

There's nothing personal about copying everything someone else does. 
That's the conundrum of the internet and style, it loses the personal. 

This is why I post "What I'm Wearing":
Disclaimer: What I'm Wearing is in hopes inspiration for your closet, that I can give you some ideas from what I'm wearing. What fits you doesn't always fit me. What fits me, doesn't always fit you. So, we all know the style of jeans that work best for us, the brands of shoes we love, etc. I'm not a "linker" to buy all of these outfits here. Truth be told, a lot of my clothes are many many years old and I pick up things all around the place. I'm don't update my wardrobe every season with the latest and greatest. Hopefully you're just inspired, maybe by something you have and didn't think about putting it together or maybe you are just looking for a simple accessory to add in and these posts can give you some ideas.

This was from the inside of a pair of jeans, that wouldn't go over my thighs
but I loved the message and it's stuck with me, because jeans don't determine who I am. 

Just like anyone else: 
I have days I don't feel great in what I'm wearing. 
I have days I love what I'm wearing, but maybe someone else cuts it down. 
I have days I get asked about where something came from, I love to share. 
I have days I show up in the same thing someone else is wearing, I don't feel threatened. 
I love to share bargains and places to find deals.
But, every one of those days, I try to reflect my personal style. 
A little thread of me running through it. 

Who influences my style?  
I would wear everything in the Athleta catalog 
I follow a few bloggers that aren't influenced by specific stores for inspiration 
I had Pinterest, but don't ever use it.
I love looks that are both put together and appear effortless. 
I really just put things together that fit me, are colors that work for me, meet a dress code where required, that I like, that are comfortable, and that don't break the bank. 

My favorite is the Duchess
I know she has a stylist. 
But... she is always timeless and dressed for occasion with a thread that runs through of her personal style. 

I hope all of these things will also be the defining of your personal style. 
Your favorites on repeat 
Your size that is perfectly you. 
Your influences that inspire you. 
Your stores that you like. 
Your kind words to others about their style.
Your thread shining through. 

And, your smile, because it's the prettiest thing you can wear. 

Stay connected on Instagram and Facebook
Link Up posted with Momfessionals, Show and Tell Tuesday, click for more.
Blessings, 

2 comments: