Sunday, May 11, 2014

Success: Disney

I'm late to the Frozen world, but I did just get "Let it Go" on my iPod a couple of weeks ago and finally have listened to the lyrics.  It has resonated with me for so many reasons, but mostly because maybe Disney can inspire a generation that it is ok to not be "ok" and to truly "let it go" when necessary.  And, maybe if the younger ones believe it the older ones of us will begin to believe it as well. 

I'm not sure where we got into the habit of answering the  "How are you?" question with "Ok", "tired", "busy" and "fine".  Sure, there are times when that is the only response we can give based on the audience.  But, somewhere our society has succumbed to the expectation to appear we have it all together and no one wants to admit some days, weeks, months, heck years aren't going like we hoped and we feel just like this ...
Don’t let them in, don’t let them see
Be the good girl (guys too) you always have to be
Conceal, don’t feel, don’t let them know

We become bound by meeting expectations of what we think others want  to hear and/or expect to hear and eventually begin to feel like living trapped in a bird cage.  I was just running this weekend and listening to my iPod when Lauren Chandler's "The Sparrow" came on and I was reminded.  His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me...I sing because I'm happy and I sing because I'm free.  There are no details God isn't into and He sets us free from having to be "perfect" and "ok". 
 
I am selective in who I am "not OK" in front of.  I have a tight group of besties who are my wise counsel - they range in age and stage of life, but I know I can always be 100% myself and it is ok, and they are the same to me.  Just within my circle of besties life is tough ...
challenges with children
dealing with Government & VISAs
major illness and life changing diagnosis
loss of loved ones
marriages that are hard
seasons of unemployment
infertility - adoption - miscarriage
jobs that are demanding and require time away
blended family challenges
and the list goes on....
 
I talk to this circle most every day and always at least weekly.  We keep tabs on real life.  What is going on and how to pray and support one another.  We are free to let it go when life is hard and we celebrate big when prayers are answered and life is good! 

Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl (guy) is gone
Here I stand
In the light of day
Let the storm rage on
 
This group is my steady in my day to day, but they aren't my lifeline.  There are times I want to spread my wings and solve it myself, because doing something is better than doing nothing.  And, sometimes no matter how much we've covered a burden there comes a time to set it free and let it be.  I have been reminded through so many seasons of Exodus 14:14....
 
 
I know my friends will fight for me here, but the  greater comfort is that I know The Lord ultimately fights for me every day. I am free from the birdcage, but I need to sit on top.  And, I need only to be still. In prayer. In reading. In not doing. 
 
So, if you're not ok, it is ok.  Find a trusted circle, let it go and then be still.  One of my favorite reminders is Amy Grant's song "Better than a Hallelujah" ...
We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful, the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah
 
Trust Jesus. Perch outside the birdcage and let him sing over you, his eye is on you and he is fighting for you.  Be a role model to the tiny prince and princess who are watching. Teach them the value of trusted circle, but ultimately to trust Jesus when life is hard.
 
Blessings,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment