Monday, June 20, 2016

Monday Musings ~ Generations

...a few thoughts, a little scattered...

I can remember the day I got my license so vividly. I was working at a horse camp and my Dad came to pick me up, took me for the photo opp and I was officially a driver, then I went back to camp. I got a new saddle for my 16th birthday, and also I got a truck. 

A truck that had been passed through generations of our family 
My Papa drove it 
Sold it to my Mom and Dad 
Dad drove it with all 4 of us lined up in the single cab out to ride our horses 
Mom drove it when she went back to College and to run us around 
Dad would drive it on Monday nights to go get the trailer, the horses and meet us for 4H 
Dad drove that route in reverse after 4H practice on Monday nights 
My brother drove it as his first truck 
My brother re-did the engine his Senior year in Auto Mechanics class 
The Heavy Half was my first truck 
It gave me freedom and responsibility all in one 
I learned character in that truck 
Inside that cab a lot of my life had happened over the years 
Behind the wheel I learned a lot of lessons 
How to hook up a trailer and haul my own horses 
How to get around town and to work on my own 
How to fix it if it wouldn't start or needed a little oil 

That truck taught me the same lessons I had while riding as a passenger. 
Lessons taught by the generations before me.


I'm thankful I've known generations of my family, even beyond my Papa and the lessons passed down through the generations to me. 

Even the most unexpected ones, like an old '79 GMC. 


Today marks 4 years since my Papa left this life for eternity and I've been thinking about the generation that is leaving us, the stories and lessons and lives they lived, there will never be another like them. Perhaps they were the greatest generation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment