Monday, October 5, 2015

#write31days - Oct 5 - WAITing for help

A week ago I spent the day working with friends at a Cafe during Texas Antiques Week and was headed home late afternoon.  My plan was to be home in time to get to the grocery store and do a few things around the house. Until I went to my car and it wouldn't start....in a field, 100 miles from home. If ever there was a place to be stuck this wasn't a bad one, but I was ready to go.

You should know that dealing with car "things" is one of my least favorite things. I am decently knowledgable about my car, thanks to lessons from my Dad, but I still don't like dealing with it. I have had a battery issue lately, and assumed this was somehow connected.

I WAITed a few minutes, but I knew I needed help. After a few more minutes I saw a guy in the parking lot who I thought could probably help me. Assumed if he had cables, we could attempt to jump start my battery. I know, I need a set of cables, mine were stolen and I just haven't replaced them.

He had cables and quickly agreed to help, and I WAITed to see if it would work.

Nothing. 

He took a look, but didn't know what else to do. So, I thanked him and called home. We got a plan together to tow my car, trade cars and determine what was wrong with mine. #parentstotherescue More time to WAIT. I watched the sunset over the fields and was thankful for a place to be that I was safe, cooler weather and a plan in place.
If we are honest, asking for help can sometimes be hard. We think we can do it all ourselves. WAITing and trying to figure it out on our own seems like the better option, but really asking for help could often provide a quicker solution. As I was sitting I thought of times I have WAITed in what seemed like a far away desolate field for help, but really it was in the midst of everyday life.

Sometimes I felt like it was my mess to "clean up" and I didn't really need to bring anyone else in. Sometimes asking for help would bring on a feeling of shame. Other times a feeling of weakness. Who gave me those feelings? Me. No one else did. And, every time I do swallow my pride to ask for help I am immediately glad I did. Never once did I end up feeling weak, messy or shameful.

I waited patiently and expectantly for the Lord;
And He inclined to me and heard my cry.
He brought me up out of a horrible pit [of tumult and of destruction], 
out of the miry clay,
And He set my feet upon a rock, steadying my footsteps and establishing my path. 
Psalm 40:1-2

Sometimes I just need a gentle reminder. When I surrender to help and working it out between myself and God, he will ALWAYS set my feet on a rock, steadying my steps and establish my path even, oftentimes putting a person directly in my path to help. Instead of WAITing for help with dread I can WAIT expectantly, which changes everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment