Monday, October 31, 2016

#write31days | October 31st

As I wrap up this series on S I N G L E a few final thoughts, and maybe I will continue to write periodically about this topic as there are other areas I didn't address, for example online dating. Which in case you're wondering I don't online date. But that is another topic.

Perhaps you find yourself single and thinking this wasn't my plan upon graduation and looking at my life 5 or 10 years, or heck 20, years from that date. So, if it isn't what you planned, that doesn't mean it isn't good.  My life, the people in it, dating, my job, activities I participate in, seasons of ups and downs have all made me who I am.  They have also refined the qualifications and lists of traits I thought necessary in a mate years ago vs now.

Beth Moore has been an influential Bible study teacher in my life, I have completed several of her studies in small groups and had the opportunity to attend her Tuesday night Bible studies as well throughout the years. One particular time I remember her talking about her husband and their relationship. Something she said really stuck with me; how there was certainly a part of her who wished he was one to get up and read his Bible in the morning and tell her about it, that was not how he lived out his faith. He is a rugged, outdoorsman, hunts, fishes and sees God in all of those avenues. BUT, he does read the Bible, it just doesn't look like what she thought it might and he LIVES OUT his faith every day through his actions and how he loves her and their family.

I have always held onto this story, to remind myself that someone may not always be as they seem, do the exact things you expect them to, nor as you wish, but that doesn't mean they don't have the potential to love Jesus and love you well.

If we are teachable, the ones who disappoint us and don't work out, even if they had great potential, always teach us a lesson about ourselves  and about what we need and want in life. Dating is a fine balance of holding tight to your beliefs and convictions, being vulnerable to allow someone to know you (and you to know them) and learning to let go when it is time; believing you will be healed and move forward for the next time.


I will leave this series with this final quote from Brene Brown, out of all experiences of dating and learning vulnerability to learn to live with joy for the great moments,  gratitude for the things you've learned and grace for the ones who might have hurt you.


Isaiah 26:3 
“You will keep in [a]perfect and constant peace the one whose mind is steadfast [that is, committed and focused on You—in both [b]inclination and character],
Because (s)he trusts and takes refuge in You [with hope and confident expectation].

Blessings to you in your S I N G L E life and your dating or marriage if you are not S I N G L E. Thank you for reading, for encouraging for commenting and for sharing through this month. 

For a complete list of the #write31days series, {click here}.

No comments:

Post a Comment