Friday, October 23, 2015

#write31days - Oct 23 - WAITing on the sun to rise

One of my favorite things about my classroom when I was teaching was the windows that looked out on the sunrise. There were many days I didn't turn on my lights when I walked in my room because I wanted to snap a quick picture of the sunrise.

Now, I drive to work in the dark, {until the time change}, and this week due to a late meeting I actually got to drive in during the sunrise.  I thought about the start of a new day.... 

Sometimes the night has been long and it seemed like the WAIT for dark to give way to light would never come. 

Sometimes the anticipation and WAIT for the next day is so great (ie: Baptism for my nephew) the night seems like it will never end. 

Tonight as I was driving home I thought about the people who are enduring Hurricane Patricia tonight. The news is on the background as I'm typing with details about the storm...and unknown destruction awaits tomorrow with the sunrise.  I can remember riding out Hurricane Ike in 2008, having no idea what the morning would bring.  

However, I know the morning brings a promise of a new day. No matter if it is a hard day or the best day, the sunrise is the start of new. Every. Day. One of my favorite songs is Robbie Seay Band's "New Day" 

I'm gonna sing this song to let you know that you're not alone
And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody
So sit back down and let the world keep spinning 'round
For yesterday's gone and today is waiting on you to show your face

And it might not be the prettiest thing that you'll ever see
But it's a new day, ah baby, it's a new day
And it might not look like a beautiful sunrise
But it's a new day, ah baby, it's a new day

I am a morning person, though I would love to have slow starts to the morning with coffee, words and melody, I always start my day with hope. A few minutes in the Word, trying to let go of my to-do lists, expectations, worries and all the things that await me in a day. To let go of it, Instead of watching and WAITing for my own agenda, trying to change my focus to watch and WAIT for God to speak to me throughout the day. 

"In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice; 
In the morning I will prepare a prayer and a sacrifice for You 
and watch and wait for You to speak to my heart."

Psalm 5:3

No matter how the day goes, how long I WAIT through the night, the sun will rise again tomorrow and it's another new day for me to show my face and WAIT for Lord, the creator of the perfect sunrise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment